Tuesday, December 16, 2008

2008-11(Nov)-28 Russian Wedding

http://picasaweb.google.com/terricallaway/RussianWedding#


HI everyone,I guess you all understand my long absence. Since we found out John's project has been put on hold, we have been to Alabama for ten days, and are now half way through our European holiday. More about that later.

Now I would like to share our experience at a Russian Wedding. Charles Ray is an American who John has worked with only briefly. However, he invited us (all the expats working in the office and their spouses who were in Russia). This man is in his 40s and the bride, Olga is 29. Charles has been working in Russia for more than 10 years and Olga worked with him at the International Paper Mill in Svetogorst which is on the Russia, Finland border. In fact, most expats who work there live in Finland, the Russian workers live all around that part of Russia. I had only met him once briefly and so I was delighted to be invited. We received an invitation that was rolled up like a diploma and decorated with lace. The wedding was Friday, October 24.Some of the things I understood about Russian weddings proved to be false (or perhaps there is as much variety in Russian weddings as there are in ours). The occasion was on a Friday night so some people only went to the reception only. John didn't want to rush and he thought we would be waiting outside for the couple to come out of the palace, so only I went to the actual wedding thinking I would be outside on the street until the newlyweds came out. The couple chose the wedding palace on our street for their vows, so I just walked over, with my bouquet of flowers in hand (no yellow flowers and always odd numbers). It was cold enough for coats and gloves but not freezing. Once I got there, I couldn't find anyone I knew. So I called John who called some of the guys he knew was going to the ceremony and I learned we were supposed to go into the building with the family. Inside was a beautifully decorated space that looked like it was built in the late 1700s, and it really reminded me of an antebellum mansion. It was beautiful. Everyone was required to check their coats and go to a 'waiting room'. There were at least five wedding groups inside. When it was time for Olga and Charles, they and their witnesses (best man and maid of honor, I guess) went into one room and their guests to another. Beautiful, traditional music played over an excellent sound system. About thirty of us were in pews or standing. Then double doors opened and they entered together with the witnesses, they walked up to the official who was a lovely woman in her 40s dressed in a dressy pink suit. There was also an interpreter to translate everything into English. Olga's family does not speak English, although she does. I don't really remember all that was said – stuff about family, children, happiness, commitment, long life, trust, etc. Not a word was mentioned about God although it was not 'anti-religion' either. It was much 'softer' than I expected a civil ceremony to be, and it was longer. The parents were recognized (no one from Charles' family came. I don't know anything about his situation). Then they had to sign the marriage certificate. It all lasted about 10 minutes - pictures were taken the whole time. Once they were pronounced married, all the congregation offered congratulations and gave them flowers. Pictures continued on the main staircase of the building as we were hurried out. The next wedding group was ready to have their ceremony - They were rushing up the other staircase so I couldn't get a clear picture.

After the wedding we boarded a bus for the Peter and Paul Fortress, the oldest part of the city. John and I went there in January when we first toured St. Petersburg. On the fortress is a fabulous church where the czars were buried. In fact, about 10 years ago the remains of the last czar, his wife and three of their five children were discovered near the Ural Mountains and entombed with the rest of the czars. My next note will describe the wedding reception, but I have included pictures taken outside the fortress, including the fireworks that were set off halfway through the four hour dinner reception.

Question of the week:
Are you doing any reading?

Can you find English language best sellers? There are two English bookstores that I have found. I bought the "Amber Room" for a book club I was joining and the price on the paperback was $5.99. I paid the equivalent of $12 (300 rubles) for it. However, there are a few English books in the larger Russian bookstores and plenty of guide books in English. Also there are plenty of dictionaries - Russian/English, Russian/German, Russian/French, Russian/Polish etc. You can also find current best sellers in Russian - with the same covers on the books. The Russians are avid readers-many read books on the subway (the Metro) - more so than magazines or newspapers. However, the newspapers are posted on boards on the street. I have read several books mom gave me - I don't watch TV! see ya

No comments: