Saturday, October 25, 2008

2008-10(Oct)-15 Novgorod Countryside

http://picasaweb.google.com/terricallaway/NovgorodCountryside#

This time I want to tell you about our trip to Novgorod, a city about 164 kilometers (102 miles according to the conversion chart that is a favorite on my computer - I convert everything - sizes for sheets, rugs; temperature outside and baking in the oven; distance; money - rubles to dollars) that we visited a couple of weeks ago. The city is one of the oldest in Europe - a religious and political capital and the fourth largest in the continent in the middle ages. The modern city has grown around the walled city (the Kremlin, which is the Russian word for fortress, castle, etc. I always thought the Kremlin was the buildings that comprised the government complex in Moscow and didn't realize it referred to the walled fortress of the city) so coming into the town we saw county places (dachas), most of which look to us like shacks of varying sizes. But remember the soviet run government has been gone only 15 years (actually less time for the country places) and building materials are hard to get for common folk since most don't have cars.

You guys only think we have bad traffic in the US. We were in a bus (like a charter bus that was very nice) and the trip there took at least 3 hours. Russia is the fastest growing auto market in the world (or so I have been told) but the roads are like county roads at best. There is one 'interstate' around St. Petersburg, the Ring, but even it has huge traffic jams. The trip home from Novgorod took 5 1/2 hours because they were repairing a strip of the road about a quarter of a mile long and they had traffic backed up for miles and miles. Half-way there we stopped at an "Away from the wives cafe" where we had a potty stop. I had no idea what to expect and the worst was confirmed. Suffice to say there was no running water and no seats. I have since learned these accommodations are fairly standard in the far east, India and rural eastern Europe. When I left Alabama, I never dreamed I would think our public rest rooms were something I would miss, but boy do I! Some of our group took pictures inside but I was too disgusted. Just use your imagination. And to think, most of the inhabitants of the world are used to this! Boy are we lucky to be Americans.

While in Novgorod, we visited the Kremlin and the wood village (more about those places next time). While at the wood village, we saw yet another wedding. I asked the translators the significance of the man with the whip and the woman with the leaf broom leading the way and I go the typical husband being the master and wife, the slave comment. Someone else wondered if they were Jewish. However it appears they must have reserved the guides from the wood village to walk along side them in costume. The family and guests walking behind the bride and groom were dressed normally.

The leaves are changing here and in fact, many trees are bare. Collecting maple leaves is done here just as I did when I was little. Jana found this collection that had been stringed into a crown and she modeled it for us. Jana was married this year on July 9, our anniversary.

Finally, for our construction friends - the scaffolding used here on many of the buildings being renovated here are made from trees that had recently been cut down. In many cases the scaffolding went up 3-4 stories. Didn't look too sturdy to me, but John said it was stronger than tying them together. Some reassurance!

This fisherman was kind enough to pose for me as we were walking across the Volkhov River. I loved the blue boots. I'll be sending another message soon - I have been busy lately

Question of the Week: Have you eaten at a McDonalds?
I got a coke when I was here in January (with no ice). However, the place is always packed. It is on Nevisky Prospect, the main street in the center of the city. The menu is really very much like the US menu. There is also Carl Jr (Hardees), KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut, to name a few chain restaurants. Honestly, we have not eaten at any of these chains. Mostly we try new restaurants, our 'regulars' or I cook. One comment however - there is no 'diet coke', it is called Coke Light. At a restaurant, when you get a coke, it is in a small bottle. Foreigners are advised to drink it as it is served - if you ask for ice you don't know what kind of water was used to make it. Russians (and most Europeans) don't use ice much so it is very unlikely they used bottled water to make the ice. Although the water is purified by the city, the pipes are very old, and bacterias have been found in the drinking supply. Locals are probably 'used' to it so it doesn't affect them the way it might affect visitors. At first I used bottled water to brush my teeth, now I only do it half the time because it is too much trouble. So far, no problems; John however always uses bottled water.

Until next time, Terri

No comments: